Thursday, September 18, 2008

Miss me yet?

This isn't funny, but really it is.

I was suppose to take dinner to an elderly lady that goes to our church tonight. I'm thinking since Crae has soccer practice, I'll just stop and deliver her meal to her on our way there.

I run by Mrs. Allen's and pick up some brisket, etc. (although Crae had suggested a corn dog). Run by the house I believe to be hers which is fairly close to our house. Well, I'd been given the wrong address. So I run home and call her. She tells me where she's at - just up the street from us! And still on the way to soccer practice to boot! Well, we've got a whole 12 minutes to get Crae there. Not a problem!

We get to her house, and I tell all 3 of the kids not to even *think* about getting out of their carseats/seatbelts. Mind you, I'm parked right in from of the lady's door. I tell them I might be a minute, but I'll be right back. (Is it just MY family or does 'I'll be back in a minute' really mean give me about 10 minutes.'?)

So I go in - it takes a minute for the poor woman to come to the door. (She uses a walker.) I can see the kids. I go in, put her food down, and get close to the door again... Where I can see the kids in the car. Well, bless her heart, this woman hasn't been to church in about 6 weeks or so. I get the impression her housekeeper (who comes once a week) is the only person she really sees regularly. So she starts to just visit with me. After a few, and I repeat FEW minutes, I very politely tell her I have to run and take Crae. He's late at this point, but oh, well, he's not THAT late.

I get outside the door and see all 3 trying to talk to me through the glass. Everyone looks very excited in telling me whatever it is they're trying to tell me. I open the door expecting to hear, "She hit me!" or "He won't stop copying me!" But nooooooooo! I open the door, and all of the kids are hyperventilating they're crying so hard. I mean BAWLING. Instead, I hear panicked shrieks of, "WHERE WERE YOU?! WE THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!!" I reminded them I told them it might take a few minutes, and I was where I could see them pretty much the whole time. Not good enough. Again, I get enormous gut-wrenching wails accompanied by "WE THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!!" Heavy emphasis on the DEAD part. (I swear, typing it out makes me laugh that much harder! lol!!) Now yes, when I say this lady was elderly, I do mean ELDERLY. But it's not like the Grim Reaper was helping this sweet woman to the dinner table, you know? (I still haven't gotten out of them why they thought I'd died. Who knows...)

I try to calm them down and tell them I'm just fine. Yes, I know Crae's late. And then I hear Grayson... "We called Grandmommy because we were so scared!"

Yes, indeed, they did call Grandmommy. Maura called her and told her, "Mommy went in this lady's house, and she hasn't come out yet!" Grandmommy asked where they were. Maura tries to tell her. Grandmommy asked, "Are you still in town?" Maura says, "No, we're in Sweetwater. Somewhere around the track." So Grandmommy tells her to stay on the phone and she's going to drive around and see if she can find our car. Okay, so here I come out of the house, and Maura just hangs up on Gramdmommy. But I called her back... just to let her know I was still alive. lol!

Sometimes it's nice to be missed... even for a few minutes. :)

No comments: